Do not purchase a Shiba Inu puppy from unverified vendors. There is a risk of detecting various genetic diseases that are transmitted to the pet from the parents. Carefully check all documents and references.
With proper treatment, Shiba Inu usually grows healthy, but, as we all know, each breed is prone to its group of diseases. To know about them, it is necessary that in case of problems with the health of the pet, to prevent the development of the disease and to avoid serious consequences.
1. Allergies: food, treated by identifying the product of the allergen and removing it from the pet’s diet; contact, caused by a reaction to hard bedding, flea powder, dog washing and various home care products; inhalation, arises from the presence in the air – pollen, dust and mold. Shiba Inu allergy treatment usually includes diet, medication and environmental changes.
2. Chylothorax: fluid accumulation behind the sternum. Accompanied by difficulty breathing, coughing, apathy and decreased appetite. Chylothorax may cause complications. During treatment with Shiba Inu, they pump out a liquid, prescribe a diet with a small amount of fat in products, in emergency situations, resort to surgery.
3. Glaucoma: high pressure in the eyes. There are two types: primary – a hereditary disease, and secondary – caused by a drop in the volume of fluid in the eye and is the result of other eye diseases. Symptoms include vision loss and pain. Shiba Inu treatment is prescribed by a veterinarian and depends on the species. You can get rid of glaucoma with eye drops or surgery.
4. Cancer: signs that indicate a dog’s disease include abnormal swelling of sores, non-healing ulcers, various bleeding, problems with breathing or emptying the bowel. When treating cancer for Shiba Inu, surgery, chemotherapy, and medications are usually prescribed.
5. Epilepsy: a neurological disease that is inherited, leading to a different type of seizures. Attacks cause atypical behavior: desperate running, as if chasing a dog, staggering, alienation and desire for solitude. It is painful to look at convulsions, but the prognosis for the long-term is usually good for those affected by idiopathic epilepsy. Remember that Shiba Inu seizures can be due to other causes: improper metabolism, infections affecting brain activity, tumors, poisoning, head injuries and many others.
6. Dislocation of the patella (knee joint): slipping of the femur from the knee’s articular bag, causing severe pain. Sometimes leads to disability, but often Shiba Inu adapt well and live with this ailment.
7. Hypothyroidism: a violation of the thyroid gland. It can cause diseases such as epilepsy, baldness, obesity, apathy, pigmentation disorders and other types of skin diseases. The treatment of Shiba Inu with drugs is recommended, a diet is prescribed.
8. Progressive Retinal Atrophy (PRA): The PRA family of eye diseases involves the gradual thinning of the retina. At first, the dog loses its ability to see in the dark, with the development of the ailment, the vision disappears in the daytime. Many Shiba Inu adapt to a loss or absolute loss of vision and feel relaxed as long as the environment remains the same.
9. Hip dysplasia: an inherited disease Shiba Inu, expressed in violation of the density of the connection of the femoral bones in the joints of the pelvis, causing pain and lameness. The disease may be asymptomatic. Over time, the dog may develop arthritis. An X-ray of the hip joints is the only way to detect the disease. Dogs with this ailment should not be allowed to cross. If you decide to buy a puppy, let the breeder provide documents confirming that the producers have no problems with hip joints.
10. Spinning (chasing the tail): a behavior that is not fully understood by experts. Begins at the age of about 5-6 months. The dog is absorbed by the idea to grab its own tail, and it can “cut circles” for hours. Shiba Inu has no desire to eat and drink. Attempts by the host to stop unwanted behavior fail. Sometimes, the dog squeals and tries to grab the tail. Studying the problem revealed that spinning could be a type of seizure. Phenobarbital treatment in combination with other medications helps to stop spinning.